The following presents the best ways to store kratom in the short and long term, with consideration to quantity. The list is based on a consensus from trusted distributors and well-read enthusiasts, but more from our own experience storing large quantities of kratom for distribution.
Here are a few tips for kratom enthusiasts who wish to keep their stash viable in the short-tern, or less than three months:
- Keep it Cool—To maintain its freshness, kratom should be stored in a cool space. Many consider the refrigerator an ideal place to keep kratom fresh, but any place like a drawer that is away from heat and light will do. Consider using a space with no windows, like a closet or a bathroom. Coolness keeps the alkaloids–the active ingredient–from degrading.
- Avoid Sunlight—Direct exposure to the UV rays from sunlight has an unfavorable effect on the bonds that make up the leaves. Weakened bonds means a less potent batch, which gradually grows worse the more it is exposed.
- Avoid Oxidation—Kratom can get stale like most organically-produced items, so it is important to keep it in a sealed container no matter which room you store it in. A good piece of tupperware should do for your daily stash, and the bulk quantities can be kept in their original packaging, assuming they are resealable. What you don’t want to do is leave kratom out in the open, not only because of oxidation, but because it is a very fine powder than can go everywhere at the slightest gust of air.
Beyond one year, we have noticed that even well-stored kratom begins to degrade. These tips are for those who want to store a lot of kratom long-term, i.e. the stockpilers, those who plan to stash kratom from three months to one year:
- Vacuum-Sealed Bags—These are to keep the aforementioned oxidation from creating problems with a larger quantity, where simply putting the kratom in a large tupperware won’t do.
- Mini-Freezer—Buy one of these and if you’re serious about your kratom storage, but don’t want to risk getting it all over your frozen pizzas. Freezing is the next step up from keeping your kratom cooled, and you don’t need to thaw out powder before you take it. Also, consider freezing bags that have already been vacuum-sealed to double its protection from mold.
- Consider the Source. Everyone from consumers to distributors to suppliers must consider how long their kratom has been stored before they acquired it, and factor in how long it should last after that. If your supplier had it in a warehouse for 3 months prior to purchase, that number must be subtracted from your storage timeline.
- Avoid Humidity, and keep kratom dry. This tip should be considered during all of the above. It doesn’t just mean to keep kratom out of places where it can be exposed to liquids, however; you should also avoid potentially damp, humid places like basements and attics, as mold tends to flourish in these areas.
We hope this helps! Remember..a dry, cool, & dark place is best for long term kratom storage.